Sunday 7 April 2019

Another Kate Update

Sandy has been gone on her adventure for a number of weeks, now, and will be getting home soon. Before she gets back, though, I thought I would hijack TwoByBike once more to let you know how I have continued to manage on my own.

Two weeks before Sandy’s trip started, I got a nasty virus that beat me up pretty good for about three weeks, then I was about another three weeks recuperating. As a result, I haven’t been on my bike too much, but I have been able to get out with our hiking club. 
Horse Thief Creek trail


Since Sandy has been away, I have been on five hikes with the club, each in a different part of the high desert areas, hence lots of different and beautiful scenery. And, as mentioned previously, we are in the midst of a super bloom, so each week we have seen more and varied flowers. 


Kate in orange, Panorama Loop,
west end of Joshua Tree National Park

Panorama Loop trail 

Lost Palms Oasis trail, Cottonwood,
east end of Joshua Tree National Park

Big Morongo Valley trail

The super bloom has been dramatic, and due to the amount of ground water, it has been lasting for a number of weeks. My friend, Pat M, and I drove out to Lake Elsinore to see the California poppy super bloom. It was breath taking!  You may have seen articles about it as it made the international news feeds. The day after we were there, the crowds were so big the highway patrol shut down access to the main bloom areas. Here are just a few of my photos from that day.
California poppies everywhere!
Pat M takes a close up
More than just poppies
Blossoms around every turn of the path

Even this dog was loving the super bloom!

I have also been taking a photography class through Learning in Retirement, with my friend Pat M. This has been an interesting challenge for me as I have decided to use only my iPhone 7 camera. The only editing I do is to just crop the photos to make the best bits more dramatic. Each class, we submit one photo that fits the week’s assignment.  We then get feed back from the instructor and our classmates as to what works and what could be improved. It’s been very interesting, and at times rather humbling!  Here are some of my well received photos (why would I inflict the duds on you?!) The hardest decision was picking just one “bonus” photo to submit to class if we went to the poppy bloom.
Horse Thief Corral, Subject:  Anything Goes
 Palm trees in the dark,
Subject:  Night 
Shot
Rockie under cover,
Subject:  portrait
Poppies in the sun
Subject:  Super 
bloom bonus

Since my sister left, our friends and neighbours here have done a wonderful job of babysitting me while Sandy has been away.  They have made sure I get out to all the activities she and I usually attend together, from comedy nights, to pot luck dinners, afternoon appetizers, lunches out, and playing bocce, to name just a few. They have been wonderful and helped make these past number of weeks a lot more fun. Many thanks to all our Trilogy gang!
Serious game of bocce

We had a huge crop of lemons this year, which were late in ripening due to the cool winter we had. Now, I have way more than I can use, so I have been taking bags of lemons to share with everyone every time I go somewhere in the neighbourhood.  I figure I have easily dispersed around a hundred in the last 10 days, alone. Just call me the Lemon Lady!
One afternoon's windfall

Since I have had unchallenged control of the TV these past weeks, I have been binge watching the Great British Baking Show (GBBS). With that, and all these lemons, I have been inspired to do lots of baking, which also gets shared around.
Lemon brownies
Lemon poppy seed scones
Sandy won't like them, but they were delicious!

Lemon pound cake
a big hit after our most recent hike

Oh, I did veer off the lemon trail to baked a triple chocolate loaf the other day. This recipe will not be a keeper, as I thought the outcome was disappointing. With all the chocolate that went in it, the flavour was just too subtle for my liking, and although moist, it was very crumbly.  Mary Berry would not be impressed, and it would certainly not earn me Star Baker (you’ll just have to watch some original episodes of GBBS).
Chocolate loaf 😡


Of course, I have been busy getting the dogs to school and helping them with their homework. Rockie continues to go to her scent work classes, barn hunt, and canine adventure class, all of which she loves. (Did I mention she is the star of her barn hunt class?) The really big news, is that Benny has successfully completed his very first set of classes, ever. At age 13 years (all of his classmates were less than 2 years old), Ben has graduated from Basic Scent Work. Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks? Now, Sandy is complaining that she is the only one in the family without a diploma!
Benny graduates!!!


So, that brings you up to date with me as I wait out the last few days until Sandy’s ride is complete and she returns to California. 

5 comments:

  1. I took the time this morning to read your last 2 blogs. Glad to see your doing well and surrounded by good friends. I have to say, the pictures of flowers are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. As for Sandy and Benny - Sandy crosses the US for the first time by bike at 6!!! and Benny completes his first class at age 91 years old (in human years) or 13 in dog years :). Take care my friends. Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  2. photos are wonderful- in all my years in the desert, I haven't been to any of those places you took photos. I need to get out - someday. And the the lemon products look yummy. I'm sure that Sandy will be glad to be home again, even though she enjoyed and accomplished quite a trip. She should have a diploma for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy! The lemon baking looks scrumptious; I'll eat Sandy's share. The bloom photos are incredible; that's a very rare event and one that I would love to see. Take care, keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos Kate! I would have loved to see the poppy bloom. Safe travels home! All the snow is gone from your yard, we are ready for Coronas on your deck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've certainly been keeping busy! The California poppy bloom is spectacular, I must say. We love watching GBBS too and also the two (so far) seasons of the Canadian version. And congrats to Benny!

    ReplyDelete