Wednesday 27 March 2019

Sandy Completes Week Four

Day 24 
Fredricksburg TX to Austin TX, plan:   89 miles
Same ol’ same ol’.  Hills and wind.   There are a lot of goat farms in this area and I saw a donkey on watch over his goat herd.  
Guard donkey 

An interesting thing happened while I was climbing a short hill.  Nearing the top, I noticed a whirl wind developing at the intersection, spinning dust around.  I watched the direction it was going when I noted the trees in front of me starting to swirl and the dust it was carrying coming towards me, but fast.  It was a bigger wind than we usually see so I stopped and braced myself for the hit.  I was glad I got off and gripped my bike tight and waited, as it was a doozy, shaking me around.  It only lasted seconds but it sure made me think of the power of Mother Nature. 
Texas Dust Devil
photo from internet
  
Texas drivers have no patience for cyclists on the roads.  I will not miss this state and its drivers.  The closer we got to Austin, the worse the traffic got.  As Tom and I entered the town limits, things got tight with construction and there were no bike lanes.  With 9 miles to go we spotted the van and they yelled for us to pull over.   The guides did not feel the roads were safe and we road in the van the last 9 miles. That was okay with me.  4082 feet up, 5097 feet down.
Tom, one of the guides

Day 25 
Austin TX to La Grange, plan:   75 miles
This was a nice ride today.  Nothing too big climb wise, it was the winds today that were annoying.  Came across a nasty sign at the edge of La Grange.  I think it was designed to scare the truckers to take the alternate route around town instead of passing through the middle of town. 1865 feet up, 2250 feet down.
 Entering La Grange

Day 26 
La Grange to Navasota TX, plan:  66 miles
Oh there is something wrong with today … no wind! Now, if I could just get rid of the hills I’d be happy.  This morning had more lousy roads and impatient drivers.  We rode through a town called Warrenton, TX that is apparently known for antiques.  The shops/tents went on forever.  It would take days to go through all the shops.  We were trying to figure out where the customers parked and for sure would not want to be riding on the days the stores are open.  One shop was quite distinct as all the coloured flowers on its building made it stuck out like a sore thumb. 
Colourful antiques shops


Throughout the day, we saw lots of long horn cattle; these two were munching grass along the road.
Texas icons

Later on, in Independence, we came across the original site of Baylor University.  Established in 1845, it moved to its current home in Waco 41 years later.
Remnants of an original Baylor campus building

Two more sleeps after tonight and we’ll finally be out of Texas.


Day 27
Navasota TX to Cleveland TX, plan:  75 miles
The hotel we stayed in last night had an overwhelming odour of air freshener. When I asked the front desk about it, they said most of their customers liked it. Well, not this one! It made my head congested and I was so stuffed up I could hardly breathe.  Today, I noticed a demolished house across the road. It was demolished, alright, by Hurricane Harvey. Apparently the hotel’s basement was flooded at the same time. Hmmm, maybe that strong deodorizer was covering up some lingering effect of Harvey's hotel stay.
House after Harvey visit

Wow, I think today was my favourite day so far.  A little climbing at the beginning then gently rolling, quiet roads with little traffic.  I saw my first Texas lake today, with lots of turtles along the shore. 
Turtles in Lake Conroe


I made better time today than yesterday and today’s ride was even 10 miles longer.  Sweet ride.
Buggies at a ranch entrance


Day 29
Silsbee TX to DeRidder LA, plan:  70 miles 
Big day today … we finally rode out of Texas and into Louisiana!
Louisiana border sign

This was another flatlander’s delight.  I rode with Jona for a lot of the day, until lunch.  Along the way, we stopped and checked out some more farm animals. 
Saying hi to a pair of miniature donkeys


After lunch, Jona kind of pulled away from me, ‘cause I was daydreaming, and soon she was just an orange dot in the distance.  I decided to try to catch up to her.  After a few miles her dot was getting bigger so I kept the effort going.  It took me close to 10 miles before I caught up to her as she was moving, too.  We only had about 6 miles left when we came upon some open fields and more wind that practically stood me up.  After the big push I did to catch up to Jona, I gave into the wind and just spun the day’s remaining miles.  Another good day on the bike.  I guess the wind at the end was teaching me not to be so cocky next time.
Section of nice quiet road


Day 30
Rest day in DeRidder LA, plan:  nothing
Now that we are in Louisiana, we are now also into humidity.  I just spent this rest day relaxing.  I did have a short conversation with a hotel employee who told us stories of alligators.  What?!!!  Now we have to watch out for dogs and ‘gators? 
End of week four

4 comments:

  1. Overwhelming air freshener is NEVER a good sign. I bet you're right -- it was masking mildew or mold! Have fun in Louisiana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin is about the only place I like in TX. Will be interested in how Mississippi is - have never heard anything good about that state. Sandy is certainly seeing the US like most of us never will have the chance to see - a very interesting ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sandy!
    Interesting ride through Texas my friend! Glad you had the cop instinct and buckled down for the mini tornado! That could have been ugly! Impatient drivers in Texas? Can’t say I’ve ever met a cordial Texan! Be careful! Watch your toes for gators! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandy, Air freshener - probably to cover the smell of mold and humidity. Glad you're out of that hotel. Hi Kate, Thank you for the updates. Hope the temperature in Palm Springs is not getting to hot for you. Take care, Pierre

    ReplyDelete