Sunday 24 March 2019

So What About Kate?

Many of you have wondered what I have been doing to keep myself occupied while Sandy is away. Well, here is a brief summary of some my adventures the last few weeks.

My sister, Patti, came down from Calgary just before Sandy left. The day after she arrived, I surprised her by signing us both up for an art class. Let’s just say that I don’t think either one of the Reed girls will be replacing their riding (Patti, horses; Kate, bicycles) with paint brushes and an easel any time soon!
What if I said those were supposed to be kittens? 😂


We had a cool and very rainy winter that everyone here complained about. (At least we weren’t shoveling snow and facing close to a month of -40C wind chills that our family and friends at home in Alberta experienced this winter.)  The beneficial side effect of all the rain we had, and there was lots, is a major blooming of desert wild flowers, locally referred to as a super bloom. And super it is!! My sister, my friend Pat M, and I drove to Borrego Springs (about an hour away) to  check out the flowers. I also took our friends, Alexis and Bonita from Edmonton, out there on another day. Oh, my, I have never seen anything like it in our time here! I just have to bore you with a few flower photos. Trust me, I have way more than these.
Carpet of wild flowers

Dune Evening Primrose

Notch-Leaf Phacelia


Painted Lady on Desert Sunflower

Sand Verbena

Spectacle Pod

Now, this is a tiny flower!


While she was here, I had to take advantage of my sister’s talents and got her busy working on a couple of projects for me. In addition to redecorating the guest bathroom, amongst other free labour I got out of her, she also did a couple of sewing projects I had saved up for her.

Pat getting the sewing machine ready 


Despite the fact that my sister thinks I over worked her in the chores department, I did give her at least one day off … kinda. I took her with my hiking club to a pretty cool hike through the Painted Canyon.

Pat in one of the slot canyons
  

It was fun having my sister here for two weeks, and I don’t think I worked her too hard cuz she even offered to return for another week before Sandy gets back!
The Reed Girls


Of course, I have been baking.  Our neighbours check in on the dogs when I am going to be out and about for more than half a day, so I always like to leave them a treat to show my appreciation for their kindness. I made a lemon pound cake for them the other day that looked rather scruffy since it didn’t want to come out of the pan, but I was sure it would still taste okay … well, at least I hope so! Here are some other treats I have shared with them.
Lemon Muffins

My best batch of scones, ever


Banana Pecan Bran Muffins



Many of our friends here are making sure I get out and about as there are lots of things to keep one busy in our community and in the valley. The dogs are both going to school and have homework to do most days. Ben has just started Nose Work and Rockie has taken up Barn Hunt (finding rats in tubes hidden amongst straw bales ... her favourite class of all time!!) 
Rockie poses for Basic Barn Hunt class


So, I am keeping busy, but the most important activity I have right now, of course, is putting together Sandy’s blog. Thanks for checking up on me!
Working on keeping you up to date

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad your sister had a nice long visit with you. Hey, your bird paintings are not half bad -- maybe this will be a new hobby for you? I love that photo of the butterfly on the desert sunflower but your most arty shot is the food styling you did for the banana pecan bran muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are keeping busy! The baking looks delicious; especially the scones. You did not over do the flower pics, they are a rarity so I appreciate seeing them. Keep up the blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're keeping busy - but had no doubt that you would find plenty to do. Good blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your paintings are pretty darn good Kate! Baking looks awesome, waiting for that lemon Meringue pie though! Glad to see Ben has joined Rocky with the training! See! You can teach an old dog new tricks!

    ReplyDelete